Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Half Inch Does Make a Difference!

OK, anyone who thought they knew what I am going to say, you are wrong- so go stand in the corner!
I am nearly finished with a quilt top and I am so excited- It's been a difficult (I was going to say hard but remembered the readers who are standing in the corner) top to do. Lots of little squares and triangles that all have to fit just right to form a pattern. The tutorial said easy blocks to make- maybe for someone who cuts straight and can also sew a straight seam, which obviously is not me. Got the blocks done. Squared them off (sort of) started building the rows. Middle looks good. added inside borders- got a little wonky here but with a few adjustments- ok, fine, fine. Put together the outside rows of blocks, hmmm, that double border caused a slight gap, no worry, added a little extra detail and good to go. Now all I need to do is sew them to each side. Side one- what the heck??? Why aren't the rows matching, why am I short a half inch??? Not good. Definitely not good. Can't add to the length because the stupid block dividers still won't match, Nasty looking, very unprofessional, not that I am any professional, I just want to look that way.
DISCOVERY... one of the blocks wasn't quite square, instead of 6x6 it was 6x5 1/2. Right in the middle of the darn row!
No extra material to make another, so right there I must add a 1/2 inch of something to extend it. (Ok, Bob, quit smirking or you get a time out). Match divider?- no too noticeable- if it's going to stand out I will just let it do that and use a contrasting piece like it was a signature. I did it on purpose kind of idea.
If it ever gets finished I will post a picture and you can play Where's the 1/2 Inch? And while you're at it you can also play "There's another Oops" which is another one of my endearing imperfection games!
Everyone can now leave the corner.

2 comments:

  1. You've intrigued me! I'd love to see what the oopsie quilt looks like - the parts you can show? It may not be as bad as you think :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha...you crack me up girl! I am reading your post and giggling and I feel like I'm right there next to you and I see a quilt too with all the dilemas you're describing! I love the way you write! I do want to see a pic of the quilt one of these days.
    Annie

    ReplyDelete

Please comment- it makes me feel important