Saturday, November 12, 2011

Memories, Patience and Imperfection

I am going to start with the patience bit. I usually have a lot of patience, but since July of this year I lost it somewhere. When the GM when off her rocker (another story someday for those who don't know) I was a half-way saint. I took my role as second caregiver seriously, with sympathy and a little empathy. I had needed care after my accident and it was given freely with love. It didn't take long before I realized there would be no return in this endeavor. GM isn't one to say thank you or show she grateful. No smiles, no recognition of thankfulness no conversation unless it is an order. I began to be slightly resentful. My stress level when off the charts and my mood soured. I tend to mutter epithets  under my breath. My relationship with others began to become a little frayed! My grand daughter called me out on it and I resolved to to better. PSP tagging always helped but it became a chore to keep up. I still love it and do some to keep active. Then somehow I remembered my old blogger friends. Started reading those who were still around. One thing lead to another and I found a Quilting blog. Thank you Madam Samm! From there I followed new people with shared interests and found it helped me cope with the drudge of routine bathroom runs and all the rest of the caregiver stuff.  I dug out some really old scraps and started a crazy quilt. I now have several projects underway for Christmas. Where does the patience fit in? Well, so far I swear I have taken out more stitches than I have sewed. I have miscut, miscalculated, and misplaced so much. I realized I have never thrown down a piece, just fixed it (to the best of my ability) and go on. I have results in mind and it takes patience and enduring. If I can do it with my sewing I can do it with GM. Guess what? It really works! Not to say I still don't occasionally mutter a bit....(and we won't mention tired)
I had some flashbacks in the memory department this morning. I remembered my Home EC (mandatory in Junior High) teacher, Mrs. Petersen. She was very patience with a class of twenty or so giggling girls who never saw a sewing machine before they stepped into her class. She was PATIENCE!  She would help us rip out seams and adjust patterns and laugh with us. I really didn't get much more than the basics back then but later in my teens I self-taught myself to sew and loved it. It can be a get away from everything else. Me and my project, in a very messy room, having fun. Sometimes I am rewarded with good results!
My sewing, crafting and quilting is very much like me. Imperfect. I don't quit because of that, sometimes I embrace it. Imperfection becomes individuality when you adjust it! Sew there, another entry in my blog!

2 comments:

  1. thanks for your comment on my blog Dannelle - I'm glad visiting the ladies on the ghastlie blog hop help you and lucky you for winning some fabric - make sure you use it though ! and hope things get better with GM and that you get those christmas projects done - remember to enjoy the journey cause that's the best part :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danelle! I don't know why I haven't seen your blog before. I love your sense of humor while I read your posts. Tell me what GM represents. I too am a caregiver to my aging parents. I have felt a strong connection to your oh so familiar frustrations with that.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment- it makes me feel important